A nice change, this spicy red sauce is quick and easy. You can spice it up or down, as you like.
- 2 T. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed and finely chopped
- ¼ to ½ tsp. hot red pepper (cayenne)
- ¾ to 1 kg. fresh tomatoes (28 – 32 oz. canned), finely diced
- ½ tsp. salt (omit if using salted canned tomatoes)
- 1 T. capers
- ¼ cup olives, sliced
- Additional Salt and Black Pepper to taste.
Heat the olive oil in a large deep skillet; add the garlic and red pepper, fry for 1 minute while stirring. Add the tomatoes and ½ tsp. salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and cook covered for 10 min. (5 min. if using canned tomatoes). Stir occasionally. Tomatoes will become a pulp then add the olives and capers. Cook for a few minutes more; then add salt and black pepper to taste. If you don’t want a chunky sauce, you can blend it.
Serve with 500 g. (1 pound) pasta. Top with fresh parmesan at the table